We’re ZGM. We are the largest, full-service agency in Alberta with over 80 employees based in Calgary and Edmonton. Our purpose is built around helping good organizations make a greater mark on the world. We do this through our work with a host of public, private and non-profit organizations in a variety of fields. And we can succeed at this by building the strongest marketing, content, design and, of course, PR and engagement teams. So, what does all this mean for you? It means we have depth. It means we have a great deal of talent and experience, and it means we are a great employer. ZGMers are curious; they aren’t afraid to speak their mind, and they come to work every day ready for the next challenge. Still need convincing? Check out our employee handbook here.
ZGM needs your exceptional PR and communications skills. We are looking for a Public Relations & Communications Specialist to join our PR practice. Reporting to the PR Practice Director, you will support the delivery of a full range of public affairs services to our clients in both corporate, non-profit, not-for-profit and government sectors. You are a strong writer, have exceptional presentation skills, have experience with facilitation and engagement activities, can project manage your way through any challenge, have the ability to work and think independently, are detail-oriented, and are flexible. We work within an integrated marketing and communications environment, so your morning might involve helping a client prep for a live radio interview in the midst of a crisis, and your afternoon could be spent planning the earned media component of a client’s national marketing campaign.
This position will be based in our Edmonton office, but travel to our Calgary office and other regions of Alberta to deliver client services and collaborate with other ZGM teammates may, from time to time, be required.
As our ideal candidate, you:
- Have a post-secondary degree in communications, public relations, and/or political science. A suitable combination of experience and education will also be considered.
- Have been in the work force honing your skills for at least 5-7 years.
- Stay on top of industry trends.
- Have experience in creating attention-getting media releases and advisories, and have a track record of helping clients capitalize on opportunities, plan for issues, and deal effectively with crises.
- Are well-versed in today’s local, provincial, national and international events and trends, and understand how they impact our clients. You will use that information to be an expert collaborator on strategies, and to manage and communicate services in ways that are aligned with our clients’ objectives.
- Have experience supporting promotional efforts, through PR, in an integrated marketing/communications environment.
- Are organized and stay on top of deadlines.
- Are analytical and creative, and willing to think outside the box and try new things.
- Are collaborative while staying self-motivated.
- Have experience with Dropbox and collaborative tools like Asana, Google Docs, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Supporting issues management and stakeholder engagement opportunities, and leading your own specific client projects
- Supporting and at times leading crises & issues management responses
- Writing and editing media materials, including news releases, background info, reports, presentations, and social media content
- Research, stakeholder interviews, brainstorming sessions, and developing summary reports
- Strategic communication plan development
- Knowledge of emerging behaviours, technologies and companies that are changing our clients’ businesses
- Media training & facilitation
- Contribute to business development and ‘thought leadership’ activities